AAUW's Named Scholarship
AAUW's Named Scholarship History
Begun in 1932 as an Emergency Loan Fund for college students by the St. Lawrence County Branch of the American Association of University Women, the AAUW Named Scholarship has evolved into an award to a graduating student of SUNY Canton who is planning to continue her education at a four-year institution of higher education. Since 1991 the scholarship has been named in honor of or in memory of a local AAUW member.
In 2000, the AAUW-St. Lawrence County Branch's Named Scholarship became an endowed fund held in trust by the SUNY Canton Foundation.
The AAUW scholarship is a one-time award given out annually to a two year woman graduate of SUNY Canton who is continuing her education in an accredited program. Applicants must have a GPA of at least 2.5 to apply. Preference is given to non-traditional aged women who show leadership and community service potential and are pursuing a degree in one of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) fields.
Madrid resident receives AAUW Scholarship at county branch’s annual meeting in Canton (June 10, 2016)
Updated: September 28, 2017
AAUW Scholarhsip Winners:
- 1991- Awarded in memory of Jessie B. McNall to Karen Rick, Canton, NY.
- 1992 - In memory of Eunice Badger to Debra A. Binion, Lisbon, NY.
- 1993 - No scholarship.
- 1994 - No scholarship.
- 1995 - In memory of Anna Grant to Brenda L. Thornton, Edwards, NY.
- 1996 - No scholarship.
- 1997 - In memory of Laurie DeHay to Christine Fitch, Ogdensburg, NY.
- 1999 - Two scholarships in memory of John Keefe, Jr., whose daughter, AAUW member Trudy Stacy, donated money from his bequest. One scholarship went to Ruth Hyde, Ogdensburg, NY; one to Dellonay White, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2000 - No scholarship (the year we completed our $10,000 Scholarship Endowment).
- 2001 - In memory of Nelle May Brumelle to Luella Burnett, Winthrop.
- 2002 - In memory of Judith Wagner to Amy Dafoe Bigelow, DeKalb Junction.
- 2003 - In memory of Cecilie A. Pletcher to Tammy Burgenstock, Canton.
- 2004 - In memory of Alice Kauffman to JoAimee Charleston, Potsdam.
- 2005 - In memory of Wilma "Billie" Cummins to Kevin Mace, Canton.
- 2006 - In honor of Kay Briggs to Jennifer Peck, Gouverneur, and Anna Livingston, Lisbon.
- 2007 - In memory of Sarah "Sally" Skyrm awarded to Stacy Dailey, Chase Mills, and Emma Siaw, the Bronx, NYC.
- 2008 - In memory of Anne Malone awarded to Michelle Caringi, Potsdam.
- 2009 - In memory of Fran Dixson awarded to Alissa Jatsenti, Canton, and Amanda Ellsworth, Fort Covington.
- 2010/11 - In honor of Lois Graham to LaChelle Dilcox of Ogdensburg, NY.
- 2012 - In honor of Faye W. White to Lisa Furnace of Massena.
- 2013 - In memory of Mary L. Bucher to Rachel Reed of Gouverneur, NY.
- 2014 - In memory of Bea Woodward to Sarah Newtown of DePeyster, NY.
- The 2015 AAUW Scholarship was awarded in memory of AAUW member Hazel L. Giltinan to Shaelyn Chartrand.
- The 2016 AAUW Scholarship is awarded in memory of AAUW member Birgit Weaver to Kathleen Barrett of Madrid, NY.
- Barrett wins AAUW scholarship to pursue veterinary degree
- The 2017 AAUW Scholarship was awarded to Kathleen Barrett of Madrid, NY.