Archived North Country Matters, 2011 - 2014
North Country Matters (NCM) is a local public affairs video magazine. The NCM civic partners working to educate North Country residents about critical public policy issues facing our region include AAUW-St. Lawrence County, the League of Women Voters of St. Lawrence County, and the Potsdam Public Library. The shows are filmed at the Potsdam Public Library’s Fred W. Cleveland Computer and are available on YouTube.
AAUW-NYS awarded a 2015 21st Century Platinum Award for North Country Matters at the 2015 AAUW state convention.
The LWV-NYS awarded the St. Lawrence County MAL Unit the Thinking Outside the Box Award for NCM and Conversations with Candidates at the 2015 LVW state convention.
Updated: May 15, 2017
- North Country Matters: Congresswoman Connie Morella discusses her career and life. (Dec. 3, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Marie Regan, Town of Potsdam Check-up (Nov. 7 2014)
- North Country Matters: Andrea Montgomery, Director of the St. Lawrence Office of the Aging (Oct. 31, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Jeanette Zoeckler, Occupational Health Clinical Center Project Manager, The Low-Wage Workers' Health Project (Oct. 31, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Steve Todd - Steve Todd, the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES Superintendent, talks about his BOCES district, the Common Core, STEM and Career and Technical Education with Donna Seymour and Ann Carvill. (Oct. 24, 2014)
- North Country Matters: The AAUW Student Leadership Conference with Lynn Fox, local Chair for AAUW- St. Lawrence County Branch (Oct. 21, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Tom Burns, the St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES School Superintendent, on the future of the Common Core Standards. (Oct. 17, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Dr. Carole McCoy, the 5th president of Jefferson Community College in Watertown. (Oct. 17, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Dr. Kristen Esterberg, the new - and first woman - president of SUNY Potsdam. (Oct. 17, 2014)
- Week 6: #POWHERList: Equal Pay (October 15, 2014) - The conversation about equal pay featured moderator Beverly Neufeld, Equal Pay Coalition NYC, NYS PowHER, Fatima Graves, National Women's Law Center , Rosa Cho, Re: Gender. And Phoebe Taubman, A Better Balance.
- Week 5 #POWHERList: Healthy Lives (October 8, 2014) Health and safety are absolute essentials to achieving economic success for women and their families. That is why this week NYS PowHER will focus on Healthy Lives: Securing Economic Equality by Ensuring Reproductive Options, Ending Domestic Violence and Providing Childcare.
- North Country Matters Video: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month with Valarie Dana and Caitlin Hill from Renewal House (Oct. 3, 2014)
- Week 4: #POWHERList: Workplace Fairness (Oct. 1, 2014) - WORKPLACE FAIRNESS: Creating a 21st Century workplace responsive to the needs of families and realities of women's lives. Join our NYS PowHER conversation with moderator Carol Robles-Roman Legal Momentum, with Donna Dolan, NYS Paid Family Leave, Nancy Rankin, Community Service Society and Ademola Oyefeso, AOyefesoNYC Retail, Wholesale Department Store Workers Union.
- Week 3: #POWHERList: Opportunity and Access (Sept. 24, 2014) - Historic stereotyping results in limited options and opportunities, like funneling women into low paying "pink-collar" jobs and lack of education power and capital. Join our NYS PowHER conversation about opportunity and access with moderator Donna Seymour, the Public Policy VP of AAUW-NYS, Lisa Maatz, the Vice President of Government Relations for AAUW, AAUW's top policy adviser, Francoise Jacobsohn, Project Manager for Equal Rights Advocates and the Coordinator of the New York State Collaboration for Women in Construction, and Marie Sullivan, Training Coordinator for the New York City Local 15 of the International Union of Operating Engineers.
- North Country Matters Video: Greg Hart from the Regional Workforce Development Institute (Sept. 16, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Dr. Zvi Szafran, the new President of SUNY Canton (Sept. 16, 2014)
- Week 2: #POWHERList: Poverty Solutions (Sept. 17, 2014) - The gap between the richest and poorest Americans is widening. Half of all income in 2012 went to the top ten percent, and the U.S. has one of the highest child poverty rates of any developed country. Women can hold down full time jobs, be caregivers and parents - do it all - yet still live in poverty in our country.
- North Country Matters Video: St. Lawrence County Community Food Security Assessment with Heather Sullivan-Caitlin (Sept. 12, 2014)
- Week 1: #POWHERList: Raise the Volume on Economic Equality (Sept. 10, 2014) Join us with a fantastic panel with Beverly Neufeld from NYS PowHER, Ana Oliveira from The New York Women's Foundation and Ellen Bravo from Family Values @ Work focusing on why women's economic equality is particularly important to focus on this election season.
- AAUW In the News: Thank You AAUW NYS! - One of the videos shown at the NCCWSL Panel at the AAUW-NYS Summer Meeting!
- AAUW in the News: 'Elect Her' panel on The Campbell Conversations - Campbell Conversations host Grant Reeher speaks with Syracuse University senior Alexandra Curtis, a particpant in the Elect Her initiative, and Kathleen Gore with the American Association of University Women, a sponsor of Elect Her. (May 18, 2014)
- Human Trafficking in the North Country - Sabel Bong (EOP Counselor, SUNY Canton) and David Bugg (Director of Learning Communities/Associate Professor of Sociology, SUNY Potsdam) gave a presentation on the scope and character of Human Trafficking in the North Country on March 26, 2014 in Potsdam, NY. This program was jointly sponsored by AAUW-St. Lawrence County and the League of Women Voters of SLC.
- North Country Matters Video: Poverty in St. Lawrence County, NY: A panel of local people discussed the way poverty manifests itself at the SUNY Canton's Campus Center's Kingston Theater on Feb. 5, 2014 as part of a week of activities sponsored by the International Student Activist Organization (ISAO). The panel members were Amani M. Awwad, PhD, and associate professor and chair of the social sciences department at SUNY Canton, Mary Ann Ashley, Village of Canton Mayor, Thomas R. Burns, superintendent of St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES, Christopher Rediehs, St. Lawrence County commissioner of social services, 116th NYS Assemblywoman Addie J. Russell, and Steven J. Todd, assistant superintendent of St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES. The panel moderator was Donna Seymour, a member of the St. Lawrence County Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and the Public Policy Vice President for AAUW-NYS. This program was recorded and edited by Paige Smith, Comm & Media Student, Clarkson University. (May 4, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Caitlin Hill & Valarie Dana from Renewal House on Sexual Assault Awareness with a focus on College Campuses
- North Country Matters Video: Jenna Boss: The Pursuit of You Campaign
- North Country Matters Video: Town of Potsdam Supervisor Marie Regan on the proposed Town of Potsdam Recreation District. (March 26, 2014)
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: Paid Family Leave Insurance in Watertown, NY. (Video from Jan. 24, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Education Grants with Steve Todd, the Assistant Superintendent for St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES
- North Country Matters Video: Potsdam Public Library with Pat Musante, Library Director, Carol Halliday, Library Board Fiscal Officer, and Chip Morris, a Library Board member
- North Country Matters Podcast: The NYS Common Core Standards with St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES School Superintendent Tom Burns (March 7, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Privacy Concerns, Data Mining and Information Security with Clarkson University's Dan Dullea and Hannah Marchitelle(March 4, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: A Village of Canton Check Up with Mayor Mary Ann Ashley(March 4, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Pat McKeown from the St. Lawrence Leadership Institute. (March 1, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Assemblywoman Addie Russell, 116th "River" District, Discusses Child & Family Care Issues (Feb. 20, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Potsdam Central School Superintendent Pat Brady presents a School "Report Card" and Renovations Update (Feb. 19, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Potsdam Village Check-up with Dave Fenton, Village Administrator (Feb. 22, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Suicide Awareness & Prevention with Mary Jones, Director of Family Support Services, Hospice & Palliative Care of the St. Lawrence Valley (Feb. 10, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Teen Dating and Violence with Valerie Dana and Caitlin Hill from Renewal House (Feb. 5, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: What is Title IX? with Carl Normandin, the Section 10 Athletic Coordinator for St. Lawrence Lewis-BOCES (Jan. 29, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Domestic Violence Awareness Month with Caitlin Hill and Valerie Dana from Renewal House (Oct. 29, 2013)
- North Country Matters Video: Legislative Update with Assemblywoman Addie Russell, 116th "River" District. (Oct. 25, 2013)
- North Country Matters Video: Potsdam Central Schools "Check-up" with Superintendent Pat Brady (Oct. 19, 2013)
- North Country Matters Video: St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES School Superintendent Tom Burns on School Mergers & Consolidation (Oct. 4, 2013)
- North Country Matters Video: St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES Assistant Superintendent Superintendent Steve Todd on School Funding Through Grants (Oct. 4, 2013)
- Reproductive Activism in Saint Lawrence County - An oral history of the SLC Friends of Choice (May 1, 2013)
- North Country Matters: Norwood/Norfolk Central School Critical Education Issues for the District (April 11, 2013)
- North Country Matters: Strategies to Maintain Educational Solvency in Fiscally Challenging Times - an interview with St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES School Superintendent Tom Burns on short and long term strategies school districts can look at to meet the fiscal challenges facing North Country schools. (March 29, 2013)
- North Country Matters: The Human Wrong Campaign with Sabel Bong and David Bugg. (March 7, 2013)
- Sponsored by AAUW-NYS District 7 and WPBS-TV: Turning Oppression into Opportunity - Host Andrea Pedrick interviews three women. Erin Bassney a junior at Clarkson University, Melissa Guardaro who represents AAUW at the United Nations as the NYS international chairperson, and Heather White, a teacher from Watertown. (Oct 2, 2012)
- Real Points on the Imaginary Line: Sexual Harassment at School - A WPBS Production at Jefferson Community College that discusses the issue of sexual harassment at school. Sponsored by AAUW (American Association of University Women). (Apr 23, 2012)
- North Country Matters: Finding Common Ground on Education - Panelists look at the current state of public education and discuss cuts in state aid, unfunded mandates, and the burden of soaring healthcare costs in St. Lawrence County NY. (Jan. 29, 2012)
- North Country Matters: Deborah Rogers discusses "Shale Gas: Panacea or Shell Game?" presentation. (Nov. 21, 2011)
- North Country Matters: Finding Common Ground on Windpower - Discusses Development of Wind Power in the North Country of New York and the complex issues faced by rural communities in relationship to state laws,local zoning, community interests & alternative energy. (Nov. 5. 2011)
- WPBS-TV: Women at the Front, an exploration of leadership sponsored by AAUW-NYS District 7 and WPBS-TV. (October 2011)
- North Country Matters: The AAUW Footsteps Project - Young Women's Politcal Forum - watch the video of women student leaders from Clarkson University in conversation with Assemblywoman Addie Jenne Russell. They discuss the opportunities and challenges for young women considering politics, governance and public service as a career path. (April 12, 2011)